Saturday, October 15, 2011

A Doctor's Evaluation

Last weekend I had to take Paxton to urgent care because he was having some wheezing and coughing. There is a Pediatric Urgent Care close by that we have frequented lately (unfortunately) and the doctors are really sweet.

Although I hate when my babies are sick, I kind of had fun taking Pax to the doctor because it is very rare that I get to spend time alone with Paxton. Being that it was a Saturday, Scott stayed home with the little ones so it was just me and my buddy. Because I have been dealing with his "asthma" and wheezing and post nasal drip since he was born pretty much, I know the drill. He was definitely wheezing, but I busted out my trusty stethoscope and listened to his lungs and knew it has been much worse in the past. Not to mention if one was judging his illness by his mood and attitude you would have never know he was sick, but I knew he needed a steroid. So while we were sitting in the room waiting to see the doctor Paxton and I were playing our usual games of I Spy, Rhyme Time, Spelling Bee, etc. It was in this doctor's office that I learned Paxton knew the Pledge of Allegiance and the Oklahoma Flag Salute! We were having fun.

The doctor comes in and it goes like this:
Pax: Hi Doctor I am Paxton. What is your name?
Doctor: My name is Kate.
Pax: YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME! That is my mom's name.
Doc: Well what is wrong today Paxton?
Pax: Nothing I am just playing games with my mom. You want to rhyme with us?
Me: He is wheezing and coughing and he isn't responding to the breathing treatments as well as usual. I just don't want him to get pneumonia.
Doc: Paxton can I listen to your lungs?
Pax: Sure, is that your stethoscope? My mom has a stethoscope. Me and my brother use it as a lasso.
Doc: Are you in the medical profession?
Me (embarrassed): No I am just a bit neurotic. Can't help it.
Doc laughs and I know what she is thinking.
Pax: I am 4, I go to preschool, do you have kids, I go to Jenks, where did you go to school, do you like being a doctor...
Me: Pax take some deep breaths and hold your questions til the end buddy.
Doctor finishes up listen and sits at her computer to start typing in her assessment.
Paxton: Am I going to need more breathing treatments? I hate breathing treatments. I am going to be wolverine for Halloween. My little brother is going to be Flash. I have a little sister named Charlotte. She is the cutest thing you have ever seen. Can I go to Kayla's birthday party today? I really like my friends...

As all this talking is going on I am watching over the doctor's shoulder at what she is typing in the computer. She is putting in what his pulse ox is, what he lungs sound like, his temp, what meds he takes, what his allergies are, etc. Then I notice her scroll back up and she types in TALKATIVE into one of the boxes. I started laughing out loud. She turned around and looked at me inquisitively. I said "Talkative! That is a pretty fair assessment! I don't think ANYONE would disagree with that!" She said, "No, no that's a good thing. I mean he's not lethargic or struggling to move air in and out." I told her there was no need to explain. I got it!

There are some things that you don't need to go to medical school to diagnose I guess! If I could write my own prescriptions I would save so much money in co-pays!

No comments:

Post a Comment