Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Meet the teacher, Transition Day, and First day of school


School. I don't even know where to start. I loved school when I was a kid. I loved everything about it. I loved my teachers, friends, learning, recess, new school clothes, school supplies, all of it. With that being said, you would think I would be more excited for Paxton to go to school than I was. Honestly, I have been looking forward to and dreading this moment his entire life.

I tried to put him in Mother's Day Out when he was almost 1. That lasted about 2 months. I would go to pick him up and he would be crawling around in a circle with tears in his eyes, and that was the end of it. Ever since then I have been saying I was going to put him in MDO or some sort of "school" EVERY SINGLE SEASON. Never did. So here we are, almost 4 year later, going to school for the first time.

We had the "orientation/meet the teacher" on Tuesday. This was kind of like a cattle call. There were about 800 million people standing in line in a HOT cafeteria to get paper work and turn in paper work and get school supplies and get bus numbers. I didn't know what to expect considering I have never done this before, but I was not expecting this.



Then we got to go and meet the teacher! Paxton was so sweet and adorable and excited. He just helped himself to look around the room and make himself at home. His teacher is so sweet and kind. I know he is going to love her. At this point I was starting to get excited for him.


Thursday he had a "transition day." I don't know if the transition day is more for the kid or the mom! I took him to his classroom and dropped him off for an hour. He went right in and was perfectly fine. I left the classroom and sobbed all the way to the nurses office. Of course I made myself get it together before I went in to talk to the nurse about all of his meds. I'm not even going to go into that since it is a whole long story in itself, but I started sobbing in there too. Crying is just what I do. It's not that I am sad what so ever. I am so excited for him, and for Porter to get to be the big boy for a few hours a day, but I am just learning to let go. So when I am scared I cry. And when I am happy I cry. Also when I am nervous, or excited, or hot, or tired, or sick, you get the picture. No, seriously, I am a crier. And that too is another blog post all of it's own.

Monday was the first official day of school and he had a BLAST!!! Like I knew he would. I am learning the ropes of the drop off and the pick up and all of that stuff, but Paxton, he is an old pro. And it is so adorable to see him sitting with his class on the curb when I come to get him. He has a blast, but don't be fooled. When he sees my car pull up after school his face lights up like the Christmas tree in Rockefeller Center!

This is the beginning and the end. The beginning of something so awesome and life changing for Paxton. Learning, new friends, independence, growing up. The end of coming and going as we please, staying in our jammies all day if we want to, spending all day together doing whatever we want. I am so excited for this new chapter in all of our lives. I just am so thankful and amazed of the gift that is my most precious oldest child. He is so good at teaching me how to be a mom. His younger brother and sister are so lucky to have him go before them. He is amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment