Saturday, July 23, 2011

Sisters



I have a bond with my sister that is unexplainable. It isn't your typical sister/sister relationship. With there being 11 years age difference we have the potential to have nothing in common. This has never been the case. At age 30 and 41 we are best friends and so much more. But we always have been. It was the same when I was 1 and she was 12, and when I was 16 and she was 27, and when I was 21 and she was 32.

When I was 1 and she was 12 I was her baby doll. Adrienne and her friends would carry me around and dote on me like I was their real life baby doll. When I was 16 and she was 27 she was like a second mother. I would call Adrienne and run things by her and ask her for advice just about every day. When I was 21 and she was 32 she was my best friend. I would talk to her for 2 hours every day to and from work on her dreaded LA commute.

Adrienne and I only lived in the same house for 7 years of my life. When I was 7 she moved out and went to college. There was the occasional summer here or few months there that she moved back in with us, but for the most part we only lived together for a short while. We have lived in different states for over half of my life. Physical distance has never made a difference in our relationship. When I needed her for ANYTHING she was there. If I needed to talk she made time, and if I needed her in person she got on a plane.

Although they will always feel the bond we have, it will be too hard for me to articulate to my kids just how much I love her, and how much she means to me, so I want to share some stories of how she has always been there for me in a way like no other.

When I was in my teenage years Adrienne knew I would need her more than I had in the past. There were so many things that were happening in my life that I would need my confidant, my sister to be there for. Nothing out of the ordinary, just being a teenager is hard in general. So Adrienne moved from LA, where she loved living, to Dallas to be closer to me.

When I was getting married she was on a plane to and from LA for every shower, bachelorette party, etc. She planned this killer bachelorette party for me in Oklahoma, spent tons of money on it, flew home for it, and I was so sick I only attended about half of it. She entertained all of my friends and had a blast as usual.

When I was pregnant with Paxton she flew home from LA several weekends in a row so she could be with me every step of the way. And when I was in the hospital after delivery she organized everything in my house and got it perfect for me to bring my new baby home. She was also in the room for the birth of all 3 of my children and was taking pictures and keeping everyone updated on the baby.



Adrienne just had her first biological child, but she really had 3 before Avery was born! :) She loves my children like they are her own. And I never knew just how much you could love someone else's child until Avery was born because I feel the same way about her.



These are just a few of millions of examples of her awesomeness. She is my best friend in the world.

In the past I wondered if Charlotte was going to miss out on something not having a sister. The way I love my sister is so special I wanted her to have that too. Now that all the kids are getting a little bigger I have come to realize that Charlotte will have a bond with her brothers that is beyond wonderful. She will also have a bond with Avery that goes beyond cousins. They will grow up to be like sisters!

I thank my mom for nurturing my relationship with my sister. She always encouraged Adrienne and I to be the kind of sisters that were inseparable even if we were separated. There has never been any sibling rivalry. Just love and respect and closeness, and this was promoted by my mother. I couldn't be more thankful for that.

My kids love "sissy" in a way that is more than an aunt. I know they will always feel something so special for her, and I am so happy our kids get to grow up together.



No comments:

Post a Comment