Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Holiday Traditions

I really wanted to start some fun holiday traditions this year. The kids are at a super fun age for all of this now. Other than the typical Christmas traditions, I wanted to do a few things that maybe someday my kids would do for their kids.

We all love to read and I love to give books as gifts. This is actually kind of my signature gift. I know books will get used way more than a crummy toy, so I try to give books as gifts as often as possible. I bought 24 books and wrapped them up. I have let the kids open one book each morning and we read it about a hundred times that day. This has been really fun!


I also made a homemade avent calender and on each day I put an envelope with a different fun activity in it. For instance, get hot chocolate and look at Christmas lights, buy a gift for someone in need, color a Christmas picture, make Christmas cookies, make gingerbread houses, etc. I won't post a picture of the calendar because I'm really not that crafty, but this has also been tons of fun for them. Every morning they wake up and hunt for Starkly the Elf. Then they run to get the envelope and the book for the day. This starts our day out on a high note. And it forces me to do a fun activity with them every day even if I would otherwise think I was too pooped. Because trust me, they won't let me forget what was in the envelope!

We also went to the Christmas Parade in downtown Tulsa. It was just me and the kids because Scott was out of town so we were a little late because I get turned around downtown every time. All the one way streets get me! But we saw a bit of it and the finale and that was really all that mattered. Santa comes riding by on his sleigh and I hear Pax say, "Merry Christmas Santa!" Then he turns to me and says, "Do you think he saw how good I was being?!?!?" I told him that I saw him wink at him. This made his day.


And here are a few pictures of everyone putting up the Christmas tree. I say putting it up because that is as far as we have gotten. We won't be putting ornaments on it until about a week before Christmas. I don't have the energy to redirect Charlotte for 3 whole weeks!

So basically, Scott and I put the tree up and the kids played in the box. Remind me again why we are buying them Christmas presents?!?!?
Wait...Are you telling me everyone doesn't trim their Christmas tree in their underwear...
And a fireman hat and a Toy Story backpack????

That is just a few of the things we are doing this year to make the holidays a little festive. These are just the festive things. We are trying to teach them the real spirit of Christmas along with all of the fun things as well. Hopefully, we are planting seeds that will continue to grow with our children. This is such a wonderful time of year, and I am so happy I have such amazing people to share it with.


1 comment:

  1. i saw that book idea on pinterest and loved working it into traditions as well! cute pics!!

    ReplyDelete